Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Is fighting ever justified?



I'm opposed to physical altercations to solve problems but sometimes one feels that they have no other choice. Can fighting have a positive effect on ones spirit?  Let me make myself clear,  I would never encourage one to use violence to handle a dispute.

While setting up a session with a new client today, she shared with me an incident earlier in  her life where she was being bullied by another girl in her school, when she was in 9th grade.

She reported to the counseling office that she was being bullied, but the counseling office didn't take action to stop the taunting by the other student. The recipient of the abuse decided, even through she was afraid, to stand up to the girl and that it was time.  She confronted her oppressor, and they had a physical altercation which in turn, ended the bullying. 
In this particular situation, Intuitively, when talking with this gal,  I got that this was an extremely important lesson that would empower her for the rest of her life. 
She learned that very day, how to find the strength within herself to stand up for herself on many levels. She learned how to set  boundaries so that others couldn't take advantage of her or push her around. She learned how to verbally speak her truth, voice her feelings, and it helped her with her ability to communicate. It helped her self-esteem and strengthened her spirit knowing she could take care of herself and that she was worth it.

I would never suggest that someone handle bullying this way, but the outcome for this gal was a powerful one and I know she had more guts than I did at her age.

Bullying  is cruel, it's a crime and it is cowardice.  Please report any situation where one is being bullied to parents, authorities and to the school or the school district if the school will not deal with the situation accordingly. 


I would love to hear your feedback or any experiences that any of you have encountered.

Check out my website for more info!
Sandy's Facebook
Sandy's Twitter-Tweet Me!